Matthew Hodgkins in
Windows, Windows Phone
Mar 21st, 2012 |
Microsoft has released a connector for Windows Phone 7 which allows you to manage your Windows Home Server 2011 from your mobile phone.
What Can It Do?
With the My Home Server application you can do a few cool things including:
- Stream music. pictures and video to your phone
- Receive alerts from your Windows Home Server
- Administer accounts
- View backup statuses of computers on your network
- Add a home screen tile to monitor alerts and disk space
Figure - View your WHS alerts on your Windows Phone
Install on your Windows Home Server 2011
- Go to http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26799 and download WSS_PhoneConnector.wssx
- Run WSS_PhoneConnector.wssx and follow the prompts to install the add-in
- Open the WHS Dashboard | In the top navigation pane choose Add-ins | Ensure that the Windows Server Solutions Phone Connecterlisted
Figure - Ensure the Windows Server Phone Connecter add-in is installed
Install on your Windows Phone 7
- Go to the Marketplace and install My Home Server (or use this link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/b0dbd32b-908c-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8)
- After the application has been installed, open it and click Add An Account
- Enter in the address of your home server, for example: https://myname.homeserver.com
- Enter in your WHS network user name and password, and the WHS server password and select Sign In
- If you don’t already have set, you will be recommended to setup a lock screen PIN on your phone
That’s it – you can now access your Windows Home Server 2011 from your Windows Phone!
Note: For streaming to work to your Windows Phone 7 (and other devices), you must have port 80 port forwarded to your Windows Home Server in your router, as streaming is conducted over this port.
- Updated 22/03/2012 – Added link to My Home Server in Marketplace (thanks Ahmed) and picture of app.